Invest Africa is delighted to invite you to our East and Southern Africa Political and Economic Outlook, an event that will highlight major macroeconomic developments in the two regions, as well as focusing on key drivers of growth, opportunities for investment and challenges in the market. This event will also offer an overview of the political landscape in the two regions and provide invaluable market insight.
Kamal is the head of Stephenson Harwood’s Africa and India groups. He specialises in complex, cross-border international arbitration, litigation and fraud and asset tracing. Kamal is highly regarded by his peers and clients in his abilities in multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Kamal is highly ranked in the legal directories including The Legal 500 UK, Chambers UK and IFLR1000 as well as being listed in the Lawyer’s Hot 100 list of leading lawyers in the UK for 2009 and 2014. He was named as a leading international arbitration practitioner in “Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020” and has been recognised in The Legal 500’s Powerlists for arbitration and Africa for 2019. He has also been listed in India Business Law Journal’s top 100 international lawyers for India-related matters. In addition to being a LCIA Court Member, Kamal is currently the president of the LCIA African Users Council.
Kamal’s focus is on international arbitration, litigation, fraud and asset tracing in Africa and India, given his extensive experience there. He acts for governments, government entities, banks, private corporations and high net worth individuals in a range of matters including those relating to projects and infrastructure, joint ventures, banking and finance, shareholder arrangements, energy and a range of schemes commonly used to defraud individuals and corporations.
Senior Sales Finance Advisor – Winch Energy
- Helping structure transactions and access international finance in an efficient & and timely manner
- Delivering knowledge and access to government supported financing schemes
- Obtaining financing (up to 20 years) via the ECAs and the banking market
- Creating bespoke solutions that are scalable for the long-term growth of Winch Energy
Managing Director – GKB Ventures LTD
- Founder of an award-winning independent business consultancy assisting clients grow their business through cross border trade
- Consulting at a strategic and transactional level
- Leveraging 40 years in the global banking industry
Trustee – National Youth Agency
- Charity appointed by UK Government responsible for youth work and occupational standards
Previous Roles include: –
Managing Director & Global Head, Barclays ECA & Capex Financing Solutions
- 35 years international banking experience. 25 years specialising in investment banking providing advisory services to governments and corporations
- Experience in over 90 countries across all sectors
Chairman, British Bankers’ Association Export Finance & Trade Committee
- 6 years representing both domestic & international banks based in the UK
- Facilitating co-ordination between Government, ECA’s, banks and various other stakeholders
Commissioner to the “Cole Review” – UK Government
- Set up to help define UK Government strategy for Exporters
Lead Judge – UK National Export Excellence Awards
Agnes is a partner at GBS Africa ( A boutique Africa focused Advisory services Firm).
Her role involves providing strategic advisory on Africa’s political and economic risks , market entry and stakeholder management for businesses working in Sub Sahara Africa. Agnes has worked with a select development agencies including UNCTAD, Commonwealth Secretariat ,Trade & Finance Ministries in East Africa; advising on greater global market access and trade competitiveness for the region’s products. She was involved in writing a research paper on New products for East Africa to consider exporting to the UK post Brexit. She is a trustee at Five Talents UK ( A Micro Finance charity) and a board member of Courteville Business Solutions and the Intra Commonwealth SME association. Agnes works with the legal fraternity across East Africa to promote and build the region’s arbitration capacity through the Labfa Network and the East Africa International Arbitration Conference where she is a committee member.
For services to business and Innovation, Agnes was awarded, The Africa Diaspora (TAD) Honorary Business Leader award at the Africa Diaspora Awards (2019).
Nisrin is the Head of Africa Group within Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Europe; she has a 15 year banking experience in covering African markets, responsible for originating and structuring financing solutions, for sovereigns, DFIs, corporates, Central and Commercial banks across the African continent (Exc RSA). She’s also responsible for coordinating the origination of project finance and DCM related transactions amongst others. Previously, Nisrin has held coverage roles with an American bank , and worked in the media Industry.
Nisrin holds a BA in Business Management, an MSc in international Finance and an MBA from London Business School.